Did you wonder? Are you questioning it? Is some idiot calling your efforts a “hobby”? Here’s my two cents.
1. You’re in the shower when a scene for book attacks
And you forget it by the time you get dried off.
2. You’ve driven in the car with no radio and composed a scene
and had to wait a week to write it down.
3. You’ve had long conversations with a fictional character
that resemble an interrogation at times.
4. You’ve studied a complete stranger and made up stories about them.
And resisted the intense desire to snap a picture.
5. You’ve been in the middle of an argument with your significant other and thought “This would make a great scene!”
Then been secretly relieved he/she never read it after you wrote.
6. You’ve been in a movie theater, watched the end and thought “NO NO NO!”, went home and wrote a new ending.
7. You’ve called an officer of the law to ask questions that resulted in awkward silence.
8. You’ve had discussions about death and dismemberment with another person that isn’t criminal but has probably landed you on an FBI watch list.
Not to mention those discussions about guns.
9. You’ve ever called sex “research”.
10. You hope your browser history is never investigated.
11. You’ve read a book strictly because you’re trying to research a story
12. You’ve written a story that kills off someone you don’t like.
13. You’ve written a story to give a friend (or yourself) the happy ending they/you always wanted.